Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Canadian Brass - All You Need is Love (1998)


Judging a CD by its cover, this looks like something I should enjoy: Beatles tunes played by one of the top brass quintets on the planet. Top notch performers, top notch material, what could possibly go wrong? The answer: bad arrangements. The thought process seemed to be that every member of the quintet should get to play the melody at least once in every song. It's a shame. This could have been a fantastic CD. Instead, it's just a great idea poorly executed. I do like the CD cover - very Yellow Submarine-ish.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Does the beautiful Michelle really call for a French Horn cadenza? Talk about self-indulgent; my guess is that the Horn player was also the arranger. For three songs, they add needless introductions (guys, Lennon and McCartney don't need your help with melody; leave the original material for another album). However, there are a few tunes that work: All you Need is Love, You Never Give Me Your Money, When I'm Sixty-Four and I Am the Walrus. I'm sure the latter two numbers are great live - this group gives amazing concerts.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but listening to it now makes me want to get back into transcribing/arranging for wind instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment