Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Ben Folds & Nick Hornby - Lonely Avenue (2010)


I've liked Ben Folds since the mid-90's and I've liked Nick Hornby since the movie High Fidelity introduced me to his writing. I was looking forward to this collaboration and I wasn't disappointed. This could be Folds's best album as a solo artist. The songs are very popish and the lyrics are successful for the most part. I hope it leads to further collaboration. The edition I bought has a small book which includes 4 short stories by Hornby.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #36 (Oct 16, 2010)

Tracks: I've only listened to the CD a few times, but my favorite songs musically as of this writing are A Working Day, Doc Pomus, Claire's Ninth, From Above, and Saskia Hamilton (this song has a great video by Charlie McDonnell). A Working Day, which describes the frustration of being an artist, has the great line (appropriate here): "some guy on the net thinks I suck and he should know; he's got his own blog." I think Hornby does a great job writing humorous and ironic lyrics, the only exception is Picture Window, which is weak. Be forewarned: there's a lot of profanity.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember buying this CD from Amazon 4 or 5 weeks ago.

1 comment: