Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Miles Davis - Milestones (1958)


Enough analysis of Miles has been done to the point where I don't think that anything I write about this CD will be adequate. This release documents the transition from blues-based bop to the modal way of writing that would reach its peak with Kind of Blue. Amazing. Is it sacrilegious to say that I enjoy Coltrane's playing on this disc more than that of Miles?

Davis - trumpet, piano (on Sid's Ahead), flugelhorn (on Milestones)
Paul Chambers - bass
John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Julian "Cannonball" Adderey - alto saxophone
Red Garland - piano (all tracks except Sid's Ahead)
"Philly" Joe Jones - drums

Ratings/reviews:
  • Stereo Review: "absolutely fascinating"
  • High Fidelity: "warm, firmly formed, assertive lines with all the lyricism his admirers have long claimed for him."
  • Billboard: "one of Miles Davis' best to date."
  • CashBox: "slickly creative features"
  • DownBeat: ★★★★
  • The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★★★
  • The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz (1999): ★★★★
  • The Penguin Guide to Jazz (5th ed., 2000): ★★★★

Tracks: Difficult to choose, of course, but my current favorites (subject to change) are Sid's Ahead, Two Bass Hit, and Straight No Chaser.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm not fond of my college trumpet professor for many reasons, one of them being that I was not encouraged/forced to listen to Miles Davis when I was studying trumpet. I'd ask for a tuition refund, but then the university would probably revoke my degree. Also, when choosing names for my sons, I offered up the name Miles as a possibility, but that suggestion was quickly vetoed by my wife. Ah, well...at least I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment