Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Booker T. - Potato Hole (2009)


This is an awesome experiment. Booker T. is the same Stax keyboardist of Booker T & The MGs (Green Onions) fame. For this release (his first since 1981), he teamed up with Neil Young and Drive-By Truckers. As a result, there's not only a lot of Hammond B-3 organ, there's even more guitar - up to 5 guitarists on a single track. I was expecting some modern soul music but these instrumentals are much fuzzier, grungier and heavier, almost a Southern rock sound. It's not what I was expecting, but it is a fun listen. The B-3 may be one of my favorite instruments on the planet.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #135 (May 16, 2009)

Tracks: The jewel here is the cover of Hey Ya. Booker T takes a great song and makes it his own. Native New Yorker definitely has some Neil Young influence, but Young respectfully stays in the background and lets Booker do his thing. Other favorites included Warped Sister, Reunion Time, and the title track.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I traveled to England in June 2010 and this CD is one of those I bought so that I'd have new music to listen to on the train between London and Brighton.

No comments:

Post a Comment